Why Fear Change?

Today is the second day of COMMEP’S (Council of Management Educators and Practitioners in the Philippines) 25th National Convention. I am thankful that I have been given the privilege to join it.  There were two technical sessions. The First one was given by Dr. Susan Labutap of CHED. She discussed about ASEAN Integration and the preparations made by the agency to address some of the concerns about it. The second speaker was Mr. Pocholo Gonzales, a voice actor and a motivational speaker at the same time. Instantly I became a fan.

Although Dr. Labutap’s talk was insightful and very relevant, I was mostly drawn to the talk of Mr. Gonzales. His talent is remarkable. However, it is not his ability to change his voice that captured my interest as a listener. My reflection on his talk may not be the focus of his presentation as it deals with generations and how they have evolved. These are the changes he discussed. But his insights made me question why many of us fear change. I, for one, am not comfortable with change. I thought I was. I thought I was brave enough, but lately, I am unsure.

Why deal with change when you have the option to stay where you are, do the things you are used to and be within the walls of your comfort zone. Why change anything when you are doing well, right?

Often, we’d rather play it safe. We do not want to risk something especially if it is going to affect what we are so used to doing. But how are we going to know if something is worth pursuing if we don’t try? Would we rather live asking ‘what if’?

What is most fearful about change is the uncertainty it brings. It is the consequence brought by the change. Am I going to be pleased with my choices or will I end up regretting them? Is it going to be how I imagined it or will I be disappointed instead? If I don’t like what happens, what is there left to do?

Uncertainty is dreadful. It can rob you off your peace. But is it really that bad? Haven’t we dealt with wrong choices and moving on in our lives? What is the worst thing that could happen?

The reason why we fear uncertainty so much is because we are caught up with what could go wrong instead of looking forward to what could go right. Change will surely affect our lives. There are some adjustments we need to go through. It will not be easy but it definitely is not impossible.

It is never easy to deal with change but often, we need to do it because of what we want to our lives. Although we remain unsure, we just have to believe in our ability to deal with whatever our choices bring. But this does not mean that we become reckless. I believe the best way to deal with change is to prepare ourselves for it. We need to be ready in all aspects.

Change is inevitable; we are fully aware that nothing remains the same. If you want to have something different in your life, then you have to make a change.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A REFLECTION PAPER ON METAPHYSICS

Why You Need to Take it Easy on Yourself?

Reliving Notting Hill